Fluor Construction Site Manager III in Cape Town, South Africa
The purpose of this position is to manage a small-sized construction-only project, a medium-sized engineering, procurement, fabrication, and construction (EPCM) project, a medium-sized maintenance or evergreen project, a small-sized turnaround/outage, or a small-to medium-sized fabrication effort; to oversee and direct the performance of all field construction and related activities in conformance with plans, specifications, schedules, and cost estimates. This requires a good working knowledge and background for the project type/magnitude/complexity, the ability to cope with complex situations through deliberate analysis and planning, and see actions in terms of longer-term goals. This role directs all staff in all functions necessary in their roles to meet or exceed all project objectives. This position will typically be the lead person directing all construction activity for a project (s) including the office(s) and project site(s); commonly serving as the Site Manager - the lead staff position responsible for and directing all activities at the site.
• Assure that all requirements and expectations of the Fluor Operating System Requirements (OSR), appropriate
Operating System Implementation Plan (OSIP), and strict adherence to other business line requirements
• Provide leadership in the organization or construction functional area and is primarily engaged in management activities
that establish the direction of a department, function, or project.
• Apply knowledge gained from experience and expertise to perform the principal job duties and responsibilities.
• Make decisions in areas that may impact the organization and its employees, clients, budgets, policies, procedures,
work practices, or compliance programs.
• Review design scope and approach with regard to constructability and submit recommendations for change.
• Coordinates the contractor work activities of all involved crafts within a discipl ine during the construction effort.
• Control project schedule and cost through the efficient use of all Fluor and contractor construction resources including
manpower, materials, tools, and equipment to ensure conformance to the construction plan.
• Provide input for the development of project schedules in cooperation with the construction engineers and planners
• Confirm that daily and weekly short-range planning is maintained
• Maintains effective schedule and cost control within assigned field functions of the project and ensures adherence to
• Review and agree contractor's resource schedules eg. tools, equipment, and materials are available
• Monitors the activities of assigned contractors and ensures compliance with project quality, safety, and security
• Remains knowledgeable of safety policies and procedures as well as performs assigned duties in a safe manner.
• Where there are other direct reports, has responsibility for their safety and ensures that they comply with established
safety policies, procedures and practice safe work habits.
• Manage works for and on behalf of the Client in conformance with plans, specifications, schedules, and cost control
• Controls construction change/scope creep, ensuring that all scope changes are quickly and properly documented, and
that change orders are approved prior to the performance of work.
• Reviews work assignments/ scope with contractor site management I supervisors and facilitate activities relative to the
methods and procedures to be used during execution, as well as desired results.
• Analyze situations, identify and forecast pertinent problems and evaluate realistic options; and recommend/implement
appropriate course of action.
• Organize and prioritize multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner, set priorities to meet critical time deadlines
Construction Job Descriptions and Requirements
• Multi Disciplines MEIP - Assumes responsibility for all disciplines during construction execution phase.
• Typically direct and responsible for all staff assigned to the project(s) through direct reports typically consisting of
managers and supervisors heading up the various functions (i.e., Safety Manager, Quality Manager, Construction
Manager/Superintendents, Site Services Manager, Engineering Manager, Contracts Manager, and others as
appropriate for the project.
• Typically serve as lead person to coordinate all activities and communication within the site/project areas as well as
between those areas and other offices and locations.
• Coordinate and implement indirect activities, internal and external, required to support a productive project execution;
including functional staff support, support contractor activities, and any other resource necessary to assure a safe and
quality project execution.
• Generally responsible to assure all work undertaken is within approved scope boundaries and is in full compliance with
all pertinent requirements.
• Responsibility typically includes serving as the single point of accountability to senior management and the client.
• Reports the operation or project status of contractor's works to management.
• Plays an active role in the development of the safety culture on the project, making safety a natural part of all work
• Investigates technical and construction-related problems by means of engineering query and recommend resolutions.
• Provides technical and construction assistance and support to projects.
• Evaluates project requirements, recommends methods and techniques to meet project objectives.
• Participates in constructability reviews and drive Fluor "Construction Driven Execution" approach.
• Maintains contact with consultants and organizations outside the company which provide specialized services, as
• Facilitate project construction meetings as required to meet project needs.
Job ID: 113694BR
City: Cape Town
Country: South Africa
We reserve the right to modify or revise the job descriptions in part or in its entirety. Reasonable accommodations will be made in accordance with governing law.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.