Fluor Plant Operator in San Diego, California
The O&M Tech is responsible for the proper operation of the power Facility while on shift. Operates, maintains and repairs equipment to provide client with electrical energy. Strictly adheres to all safety and environmental rules and regulations to protect employees and public safety. The position reports to the Operations Shift Supervisor.
Provides 7/24 supervision and operations support for Cogeneration Power Plant providing electrical power and cooling to commercial office buildings, labs and Data Centers. Coordinates maintenance and repairs on all related Central Plant equipment and operating systems.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Working shifts to provide 24 hour a day coverage for operations of the central plant, preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, repairs and emergency response. Raise and review evaluations for merit increases. Mentor employee’s development.
• Providing “on call” emergency Plant and site support for equipment failures, power outages and loss of city water services.
• Develop reports in order to coordinate with the critical business units to schedule shutdowns required to minimize down time.
• Must have an in depth understanding of different pieces types of equipment, including Turbine & diesel generators, Central Control System, absorption chillers, centrifugal chillers, UPS systems, boilers, pumps, air compressors, cooling towers, water treatment systems.
• Work with vendors to schedule and complete contractual maintenance equipment tasks in a safe and timely manner to maintain equipment reliability.
• Develop written basis of design scope of work documentation for new engineering projects. Coordinate with Qualcomm structural, mechanical, electrical, and controls engineers on site or Plant Projects.
• Maintain Standard Operating Procedures for Cogeneration operations and equipment.
Responsibilities also include:
• Operate in the safe and efficient operation of the boiler, steam turbine generator and related auxiliary systems from inside and outside the control room.
• Operate proper start-up, operation and shutdown of equipment, systems and the plant in accordance with approved plant procedures.
• Upon identification of faulty equipment or system operation, troubleshoot the cause and take proper corrective action to restore the plant to a safe condition.
• Respond to system and plant emergencies in accordance with the emergency response plan.
• Monitor plant air and water emissions and take steps to maintain within acceptable limits. Notify the O&M Supervisor of situations that may result in violation of established limits and/or regulatory requirements.
• Monitor the activities of maintenance personnel and contractors working in the plant to ensure activities are conducted in a safe and proper manner
• Verify and authorize isolation and tagout/lockout of plant equipment as required to support plant maintenance, testing and other operational activities.
• Periodically audit the tagout/lockout system to ensure all required tags and locks remain in place and program is administered properly.
• Prepare shift reports as directed by the O&M Supervisor.
• Observe and correct situations that are likely to develop into future operational problems or safety hazards.
• Report and respond to chemical spills and leaks in accordance with plant Emergency Response Plan.
• Operate of equipment disconnects, circuit breakers and switches.
• Monitor and operate proper chemistry control of boiler water, boiler feedwater, cooling water, condensate, condensate makeup and wastewater.
• Periodically monitor plant, boiler and turbine heat rates to verify most economic and efficient operation of the plant. Alter plant equipment alignments to optimize efficiency at specified load.
• Obtain thorough turnover from Shift Supervisor being relieved, including special orders and unusual operating conditions. Review plant status and operating logs prior to taking over the shift.
• Give thorough turnover to the relieving Shift Supervisor for special orders and unusual operating conditions.
• Conduct tests on critical safety systems including lube oil pumps, turbine valves, turbine system trips, boiler trips and permissives.
• Conduct tests on plant fire and chemical safety equipment.
• Identify work requests for defective plant equipment.
• Maintain the plant in a clean, orderly condition.
• Attend and conduct safety meetings and periodic training.
• Assist in training subordinate personnel.
• Safely operate vehicles on-site as required.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the O&M Supervisor.
Job ID: 107315BR
City: San Diego
Country: United States
We reserve the right to modify or revise the job descriptions in part or in its entirety. Reasonable accommodations will be made in accordance with governing law.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.